Thursday, March 22, 2007

What Makes a Hero Sexy?



I hear the word bandied about an awful lot - sexy. Nowadays cars can be sexy. Shoes can be sexy. I've even heard of mixed drinks being called sexy. Sure, there's that elusive quality when someTHING is hot, sleek, new...whatever. But one of the things that has always drawn me to romance and romance novels is the sexy hunk between the covers [of the book that is].

No one can argue I suppose, that sexy is a physical thing. Bulging biceps, a smoldering glance, a come hither smile...sure. But I find real sexiness a little more complicated. This picture above, which I found on the back of the booklet that comes with the Season 5 Smallville DVD set [just bought it yesterday!] got me thinking about this topic. To me, it's classic sexy.

Why? There are no bulging biceps. Other than Clark's hands, there's no exposed flesh, no writhing bodies, no glistening sheen of sweat on straining male muslces...[excuse me a minute, I need a cold drink]

Now, where was I? Oh, yeah. Why is this picture so sexy? Well, Clark is undeniably good looking for starters, but more importantly, he's playing the hero full out here. He looks mussed - like he's been in a fight. I abhor violence in RL, but in fiction, damn that's sexy. He looks indignant - angry. He's mad as hell that someone hurt his woman. [Okay, so Chloe isn't 'his woman' - dammit, she should be. You all know how I feel about that.] It's terribly sexy that he's mad as hell. His got his arms around her, protecting her, cradling her...sigh. Gotta love it. And you know damn well, he's going to save her if it takes everything he's got. That's sexy in spades.

Now, I'm not here to debate the 'damsel in distress needs to be rescued' angle. I'm a bit old fashioned and I think it's sexy when a man rescues his woman. Not that in the 21st Century she always needs to be rescued. But he should at least try. He should be capable and willing to risk his life for her and he should be mad as hell if someone tries to hurt her. Chivalry may be ailing but it ain't dead. Chivalry is sexy.

So there you have it. Sexy traits in a hero: Mussiness. Indignance. Protectiveness. Mad-as-hell-ness. Not an eleoquent list, I know. And not complete. What do you think makes a hero sexy?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sense of humor -- someone who can not only make me laugh, but also someone who can laugh at himself.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I find most men are inherently funny. A lot of them don't actually know it, or try to be, though. LOL.

L.K. Campbell said...

Well, I can tell you what's NOT sexy. A man who's afraid of a bat. LOL!
I think your picture says it all. Tom Welling. Mmm, mmm good. I like a man who's strong, confident and has a sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

LOL Lucinda! I agree, a sense of humor is a must. A nice laugh doesn't hurt either ;)

Two Voices Publishing said...

LOL, LK. That just proves my 'men are generally amusing' point. Did you happen to see the epsiode of The Office when they had a bat in the conference room? Too funny - though I suppose only if it's never actually happened to you. ;)

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I have to say that it isn't bulging muscles that make me think a man is sexy.
I'm not sure what does it, but Legolas in The Lord Of The Rings was the one I sighed over, not Aragon. I just finished watching "Eragon" last night and thought the main character was VERY sexy.
Maybe it's the whole "One part bravery, three parts fool" thing. LOL.

Karen Erickson said...

I agree with you 100%. A man who knows how to protect and take care of his woman - or any woman - is sexy. And a sense of humor is sexy too. I like a man who makes me laugh.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I have to watch Eragon, dying to see how it turned out. I'm big on the sense of humor too. If a man can't laugh at himself, then it's not as much fun when we laugh at him. ;)

Anonymous said...

Gotta agree with you on the "classic sexy". Not only do I LOVE Smallville, I love Smaville because of the way they portray Clark/Superman. Hella sexy!

And now I need to go take a cold shower after spending way too long gazing at the picture
(May I please switch places with Chloe? I want to be cradled like that!)

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hey Rene! Take a number to be Chloe,I'm already in line. ;) It's funny, my DH was the Smallville fan long before me, and now I think I'm the one who enjoys it more.