Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #23



Thirteen Superstitions


Have you ever noticed how many things have negative [or positive connotations] in society? I compiled a list of some of the better known superstitions from The Dictionary of Superstitions by David Pickering.


1. The Albatross – this large sea bird has been associated with bad luck on seagoing vessels
2. Black cats – often associated with witches and witchcraft, black cats have taken a bad rap throughout history
3. Chain letters – against the law because they’re just downright annoying, usually promise good fortune for keeping the chain intact and tragedy for breaking it. [largely replaced by chain e-mails which are just as annoying]
4. Friday the Thirteenth – Friday in general has a lot of bad connotations, apparently stemming from it being the day Even offered Adam that apple
5. Eclipses – these have been harbingers of doom for centuries and have apparently heralded the deaths of royalty, the coming of plague and the beginning of wars
6. The Evil Eye – every wondered if looks could kill? It’s long been believed that they can.
7. Walking under a ladder – I always figured this was a bad idea just because something might fall on you
8. Pennies – Pennies from Heaven are good luck, but I was always taught never pick up a penny that’s tails up
9. Ravens – and black birds are portents of evil and possess the ability to foresee death
10. St. Elmo’s Fire – not just a movie starring the Brat Pack, this electrical phenomenon can bring good or bad luck depending on where it occurs.
11. Scythe – a weapon associated with death, though apparently crossing two scythes at the foot of a cradle will protect a newborn child.
12. Sickle – similar to a scythe in shape, it craves blood and must draw blood to bring good luck [seems a bit contrary to me]
13. Thirteen – the number of witches in a coven, the number of full moons in a year, the number of superstitions on this list



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!









17 comments:

Tempest Knight said...

Wow... I didn't know about #1 and #10. Very interesting list! Thanks for sharing. Happy T13!

Anonymous said...

Great list! I love learning superstitions (and then, usually, acting out against them - I'm just contrary that way), and I didn't know #1 either >G<

Debbie Mumford said...

Great list. Superstitions are SUCH a mine for story ideas ... Thanks for reminding me of some old ones.

Rhonda Helms said...

Wow, that's wild...I think this helps with some stories ideas for ME, too!!!

Elle Fredrix said...

Oh, those chain letters/emails. Don't they just make you crazy? Does anyone really take those things seriously??

Ann Aguirre said...

Agree with Debbie. You can get a lot of great ideas from stuff like this.

Anonymous said...

That's really cool. I hate chain emails and chain text messages with a passion. They drive me crazy!

Robin L. Rotham said...

Baby, if looks could kill, I'd have solved the world's overpopulation problem years ago. ;)

Unknown said...

But 13 is my luckiest number ever!

Happy T13! Great list.

Anonymous said...

Awesome list. I love black cats. They're my favorite, they have such personality. :D I love ravens too! And crows. :D

Amelia June said...

Poor Eve, always getting the blame. Dude ate the apple, she didn't hold a gun to his head or something.....

Also--this is the second "black cat" mention in a TT today. Weird!

Shelli Stevens said...

I've only heard of a few of these! I'm so not supersticious. I can't even spell it.

Lis said...

Cool list, didn't know about 10,11,12

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

My MIL is very superstitious and has shown me how to ward off the evil eye. Great list!

Jennifer Shirk said...

My roommate in college firmly believed in the evil eye. It kind of creeped me out a wee bit. LOL!

Heather said...

Awesome list - and a great counterpart to the Diva who posted quotes about fear.

Angela's Designs said...

Eclipses – There is a total lunar eclipse on the 28th. But I don't have to work until 9 a.m. so I never get up before dawn!

Evil Eye - Isn't it strange that this is a long-standing belief when a the friends and relatives of murders that get interviewed on the news in my town typically say "he/she is such a nice person".

Ravens are tricksters were I come from. No negative connotations.

I've yet to see St. Elmo’s Fire. I want to. Of course, it was the movie that introduced me to that name.